Monday, July 20, 2009

In His Likeness

I lay on my bed throughout the afternoon listening to Dr. Myles Munroe teaching about the kingdom of God.

I have been consumed by this message and its meaning for months and even though I have read most of Dr. Myles book and listened to his sermons about the subject, I feel there is a lot more about the kingdom that I do not know.

“Let us make human beings in our image, in our likeness,”. If God made us in His Image and we appear with 2 arms 2 legs, a torso, 2 eyes, ears, a nose, wit hair etc. does this mean God looks like me, short, fat, killer legs, cute fingers, cellulite et al? Is God human like you and me? Of course not.

So what is this likeness and image in which we were created? If God cannot be like us, can we be like him? Yes we can.

God is a spirit and in us he created a spirit. It is this likeness that is spoken of in Gen 1:26. Isn’t it amazing then to know that we have the very same spirit in us that is like God? We have the capability to be holy like him, to be truthful, faithful, gracious, righteous etc. We are on this earth, but being like God, we are not of this earth.

We are human beings because we need to live on this earth. God created the earth perfect for us to dwell in. He made the seas, the sun to give us light, the plants and animals to give us food. Spirits are not allowed to inhabit the earth, thus God needed to send his son (A spirit) to take the form of a human body.

“Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature e of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a human being…” Phil 2:6-7.

All my earthly traits are not of God. Realizing and knowing this feels like I have finally overcome. For now I know, and I have proof that whatever worldly experiences I go through, these are not meant to be me, therefore I simply turn to God and ask Him what we should do, because remember, Him and I are alike in spirit.

“My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.”- Ps 73:26

No comments:

Post a Comment